The Azerothian Herbologists Association

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Azerothian Herbologists Association

2 posters

[RP Story] Little Girls and Knives

Slelis
    Slelis
    Admin

[RP Story] Little Girls and Knives Empty [RP Story] Little Girls and Knives

Post by Slelis Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:39 pm

(( Hey all! This here is an old project I was working on for a while that I'm just now picking up again. I've always wanted to write out Slelis's backstory, but I feel like just writing the whole thing in one go isn't very fun, so instead I've been telling it through seemingly minor (and some major) events in Slelis's life that had a large impact on her / are telling about her life at the time. I am terribly slow at writing and likely won't update TOO often, but here it is regardless!

Also, the first few stories are old as hell, so apologies for sloppy writing. ))

----

Part 1
    Parting the Brambles

“SLELIS!”

In the spare few moments she had to think before slamming into the ground, Slelis knew the fall was going to be bad. Her hands flew in the air as the whole of her weight smashed onto her leg, the sickening sound of her own knee cracking drowned by her scream. Instantly her hands clamped down over and above her injured knee, clutching at it, her entire body curling over the source of the pain. She grit her teeth and snarled, for once uncaring of how unattractive she might have appeared for making such an unladylike noise.

Dimly she could hear her friend’s voice calling to her through the trees, her Darnassian spoken in a smooth, silvery tongue. “Slelis! Slelly! Are you alright? What happened?”

The younger of the girls looked up mournfully towards the edge of the ditch, her sad expression transforming into a look of anger when she spotted the root that had snared her foot just moments prior. Why did this sort of thing always have to happen to her? She set her jaw sternly and looked down again at her knee as she thought of what her parents would think when they heard word that she’d gotten herself in trouble again, and oh! how poor Feorel had to bail her out of it for the thousandth time. They’d have to send another thank-you card to the girl’s parents, how dreadful.

“Slelly?”

“I think there’s something wrong with my knee,” Slelis eventually replied.

When she looked up again, she saw Feorel’s face hovering behind the brambles, the former of whom had a visage that was much longer and darker than her own. Where Slelis had taken after her mother, born with her sharp features and pale pigment, Feorel hailed from a line with strikingly contrast features. Unlike Slelis, Feorel’s long, lavender hair was thick and wild, her eyes less catlike and more almond-shaped. To the envy of the other girls her age, she also had the advantage of height, thanks to a set of long, slender legs given to her by her mother.

It was those very legs she used to scramble about the edge of the ditch as she anxiously searched for a safe way down. Briefly she paused, then called to the girl below her, “Are you bleeding?”

Slelis looked herself over and frowned, spotting a red stain that was already blossoming on her dress. “A little.”

The elder girl sighed and started to carefully pick her way down through the brambles. “What did you do?”

“Well!” Slelis began, her voice edged with a cynicism far beyond her years, “If you weren’t blind, you would’ve seen it, wouldn’t you? I tripped. Sometimes that happens to people, when things are in the way of where they’re going. It’s a real phenom.. phenomenon.”

“You don’t have to be such a bitch about it,” quipped Feorel as she settled down beside her friend. “You said you hurt your knee?”

Slelis sniffed and pulled her hands away for just a moment in order to pull up the hem of her dress. She grimaced at the swelling and discoloration forming about her knee, then looked up to Feorel and said, “It made a noise.”

“What sort of noise?”

“Like the sound the cat made when Dad stepped on it that one time walking down the stairs.” When Feorel stared at her blankly, the young Slelis added, “CRRACK!”

“That’s disgusting.”

“It’s what it did,” Slelis mumbled.

“Can you walk?”

Slelis stared at her flatly, fixing her with one of the smoldering looks she was already known for, even in such tender years.

Defensively, Feorel backed up and held up her hands. “Okay, okay – I’ll help you out. Put your arm around my shoulders, alright? We’ll get you home. You’re going to have to hop, though, you’re too big for me to carry nowadays.”

“Oh, great! That’s really nice of you, kicking me while I’m done – calling me fat!” Slelis cried, her eyes welling up with tears as she contemplated the idea of moving her leg.

Feorel sighed in exasperation and rubbed at her forehead, attempting to summon the patience to deal with the small girl curled up in front of her. “No, you’re not – you’re skinny, if anything you need to eat more. I wasn’t saying you’re fat at all. Just… Ugh, just forget it. Give me your arm and put your weight on your good leg. All five pounds of you.”

Any passerby in the woods would have then heard something very peculiar indeed. From a drop-off a short ways off the forest trail, two tiny voices were cursing loudly, one of them occasionally shrieking and wailing as well. A great amount of shuffling could also be heard, followed shortly by the appearance of two dirt-smeared, pubescent elven girls limping lamely out of the sloped side of the ditch. The taller and obviously older of the pair propped the smaller one up as they walked, their destination clearly the trail they’d so mistakenly strayed away from not too long ago.

“I can’t believe you tripped,” Feorel remarked as they shambled onto the path, headed towards town.

“What’s the big deal if I did? Let’s just get – ow, WATCH IT! - … home.”

For a few moments they stumbled on in relative quiet, their diminutive forms swallowed by the enormous trunks looming around them. When the silence was finally broken, it was Feorel that spoke, her voice low and serious in contrast to the previous banter.

“Your dad’s going to be really angry, you know.”

Slelis cleared her throat indignantly. “… I know.”

“I’ll lie for you.”

“What? What’ll you say?”

“We were going through the woods,” Feorel began, then, after a moment’s thought, “obviously, when we… I walked off the path for a second to pick a bit of earthroot, and you followed and stepped in a snake hole. There were leaves on it, so we didn’t know it was there. It was an accident.”

“That’s stupid.”

“It’s better than telling him we were running off the path to try and find out where the neighbor boys went.”

Slelis scrunched up her nose and knit her brow, weighing her options. Eventually, she gave a great sigh and slouched her shoulders, her demeanor suddenly growing dejected. “I’m sorry, Fe.”

Another brief moment of silence passed between them before Feorel gently squeezed Slelis’s shoulders and said, “It’s alright. I don’t mind. He can’t get angry at me, anyways, I’m not his kid. The most he can do is tell my mom, and all she ever does is shake her finger at me and tell me not to do it again.”

“You’re always taking the flack for me.”

“It’s better me than you.” Feorel paused and stepped carefully over a stick. “I don’t know why he gets so mad at you all the time.”

The violet-haired girl was surprised to hear a quiet sniffling at her side. Her downward glance was met by the sight of Slelis swiping moisture from her eyes.

“It’s because I look like my mom, isn’t it?” Slelis piped. “They’re always arguing over some stupid shit. I’ve never seen them fight – not really fight, not with their fists – but it’s always something they’ve got to yell about, and then they have the most horrible make-up sex while I’m trying to get to sleep… Elune, I don’t know why he’s always so mad at her.”

Awkwardly, Feorel bit her bottom lip and said as delicately as possible, “Let’s talk about it later, Slelly. Right now we just need to get you home, so your pops can have a look at that knee and get it fixed up for you.”

Slelis nodded reluctantly and sniffed again, focusing her attentions on walking instead of the worrying sensation growing in her gut, a feeling that nearly outweighed the jolt of pain that shot through her leg with every step.
    Slelis
    Slelis
    Admin

[RP Story] Little Girls and Knives Empty The Knife

Post by Slelis Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:46 pm

Part 2
    The Knife

Time healed all wounds back in those days, and thankfully, Slelis’s leg was no exception. Though she’d not particularly followed the doctor’s orders, she had, in the end, managed to keep off it long enough for the bone to set properly, and it was due to those brief spurts of obedience that she was currently able to crouch down and stare at a glimmering object half-buried in the underbrush. Behind her stood Feorel, as always; the taller girl’s shadow loomed over Slelis like a disgruntled mother hen to her nest.

“Slelly, it’s getting late,” the older girl complained. “We should be going home.”

As if to emphasize her point, she cast a weary glance about the woods around her and frowned. The silence of the forest would never cease to perturb her.

“But we found something!” Slelis quipped hotly in return.

She looked over her shoulder and stared at Feorel with wide, silvery eyes, while simultaneously pointing towards the glinting object. In the mud and leaves, it gleamed as temptingly as gold to a dwarf, though Feorel seemed much immune to its call. The violet-haired elf turned up her nose and huffed.

So?” she snipped. “We find things in the woods all the time. It’s probably just some piece of silverware a traveler dropped.”

“Or maybe it’s a necklace,” Slelis breathed, already looking back to the mysterious object.

“Slelly, don’t be dumb.”

“I’m not dumb, you’re just a pussy.”

“Where do you get off, talking like that? Did your dad teach you those – what are you doing?!

But it was all too obvious what Slelis was up to. She leaned forward onto her tiptoes and shoved her arms into the underbrush, shoving away heaps of leaves and sticks with broad, careless swipes. In a few moments, she’d managed to uncover the item of her desire, all while ignoring Feorel’s harping.

A startled silence, cold as the forest around them, overtook both girls as they stared at what Slelis held in her tiny little hands.

“It’s a knife,” whispered Slelis.

Feorel refused to move. “Put it back.”

“Why?”

“Because only criminals keep knives, a real kal’dorei keeps a decent blade, a sword or a pike. Are you a criminal, Slelly?”

Slelis knit her brow and pulled the knife closer to her. It shined even in the dim light, and on its silvery blade she could see various designs, carved right into the metal.

“No,” she replied at great length. “I’m not. But I know a good find when I see one.”

Feorel looked about again, this time nervously, as though she expected her mother to come storming through the trees at any moment. “Slelis, I swear, you’re going to get in so much trouble, and I’m not bailing you out of it this time.”

The younger girl at her feet shrugged and brushed a bit of dirt from the knife. “Suit yourself!” she said. “I’m keeping it. I always wanted a weapon.”

“It’s not a true weapon, it’s a bloody dagger.”

“Bloody?” Slelis pushed herself to her feet and beamed broadly, then, with all the glamour of an underaged adventurer, waved the dagger in front of Feorel’s face and exclaimed, “Not yet! C’mon, let’s go find the neighbor boys and give them something to really be afraid of. Imagine the looks on their faces – I can!”

Laughing, Slelis bounded off into the trees, the knife clutched tightly in her hand. Feorel followed not long after, though the frown – the very sort she wore when she knew things weren’t going to turn out well – never left her lips.

They were so buggered this time.
    Ceph
    Ceph

[RP Story] Little Girls and Knives Empty Re: [RP Story] Little Girls and Knives

Post by Ceph Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 am

((Great stuff here, Slelis! Keep it up, and I'll get Bryer's stuff up here once I'm settled back into my post spring break routine. Very Happy ))

Sponsored content

[RP Story] Little Girls and Knives Empty Re: [RP Story] Little Girls and Knives

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:54 pm